Healthy, Tasty, Portable. What’s not to like?
Finding a snack that will provide you with energy and is easy to pack and carry isn’t always easy. Granola Bars fit the bill but can be pricey. This recipe for homemade granola bars will be satisfying and easy on the pocket book!
And, an added bonus, oats are known to lower cholesterol levels, provide fiber in your diet, and help combat heart disease, just to name a few of the benefits.
Homemade Oats and Honey Granola Bars
What you need:
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
To make the bars:
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl – this is your “dry” ingredients
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, vanilla and honey.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir to combine. Make sure the dry ingredients are completely saturated. This may take a few minutes.
5. Place granola mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and shape into a rectangle, about 13 x 9 x 1 inch thick.
6. Bake for 25 minutes – a little longer for crunchier bars
7. Allow to cool completely then cut into 3 x 1 inch bars.
Note: Substitute raisins, dried cranberries other dried fruit for the chocolate chips.
Find more recipes at www.pjcc.org.