It’s that time of year again! March Madness is sweeping the country, which means rivalries are heating up and fans are reaching new decibel levels. To celebrate this charged period of competition, why not lace up your sneakers and hit the court yourself?
We spoke to former NBA Golden State Warrior, Joe Ellis, who gave us some tips to mastering that perfect shot:
- First up, make sure you have the proper shooting stance. Have your feet evenly placed about shoulders width apart with your knees slightly bent.
- Double check that you have the ball placed on your finger tips and finger pads with the laces (lines on the ball) facing you.
- Your shooting elbow should be straight and parallel to the ground before taking your shot.
- During your shooting motion be sure to have the ball roll off your fingertips, with the index and forefinger being the last ones to touch.
- Finally, aim for the front of the rim and snap your wrist resulting in your forefinger and elbow pointing directly towards the basket.
Get these pointers down and all you will be hearing is… swish!
Happy March Madness and hope to see you on the courts.
Joe Ellis teaches a four-week Basketball Skills Academy for kids in kindergarten to eighth grade at the PJCC! Register at www.pjcc.org.