Sweets Without The Guilt
The term “Healthy” has a bad rap! When we hear the term “healthy” we automatically think “tastes bad”. Right? But, just because something has that label doesn’t mean it is any less delicious than the less healthy version!
Chocolate, for instance, can be healthy for us but the sugar that usually accompanies it is not. By using some healthier ingredient options you can have a delicious dessert that won’t taste “healthy”. Enjoy!
NO COOK CACAO TRUFFLES
- 3/4 Cup Raw Cacao Powder (available at health stores) or Cocoa Powder
- 2 Cups Almond Meal
- 1/2 Cup Raw Organic Honey
- 1 Tbs. Organic Coconut Oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup shredded, dried coconut flakes
- Combine all the ingredients except for the coconut flakes in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Roll up your sleeves, take a small amount of the mixture, and roll small balls between your palms.
- Dip each ball in a separate smaller bowl containing the coconut flakes.
- Freeze overnight to harden the truffles. Keep them frozen until they are ready to serve.
SWEET POTATO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Makes about 24 good sized cookies.
- 1/2 Cup Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Mashed Sweet Potato:
(Bake 2 large sweet potatoes at 400˚F for one hour, until soft. Let them cool a bit and the skin peels right off. You can also buy canned Sweet Potatoes, just make sure the only ingredient in the can is Sweet Potato.)
- 1 Large Egg – or 2 Egg Whites
- 1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour – or Gluten-free Flour, such as Quinoa Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 12 oz. High Quality Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- I Cup Dates – chopped well in food processor
- Optional: 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- Combine oil, Sweet Potato, Egg, Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar, Vanilla, in medium bowl. I mixed the ingredients with a spatula. you can also mix with electric mixer until well blended.
- In a separate bowl mix together dry ingredients: Flour, Salt, Baking Soda, cinnamon.
- Stir 1/2 the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, stir in remaining flour mix until well combined.
- Stir in Dates, Chocolate Chips and Cranberries if using.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F, lightly grease baking sheets.
- Heap large tablespoons of batter onto cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until cooked through and tops of cookies are golden.
- Let cool about 5 minutes and place on cooling racks.