This amazing dark chocolate cake has ground almonds in the batter and toasted almonds sprinkled on top, making rich in plant-based Omegas.
3 Tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa powder – 65% or higher
½ cup raw almonds
2 Tablespoons sugar
¾ cup date or maple crystal sugar (or regular sugar)
3 oz. dark chocolate, – 65:% or higher – coarsely chopped
½ cup Greek Yogurt
2 egg yolks, at room temperature
1 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
5 egg whites, at room temperature
¼ teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon toasted slivered almonds (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9″ springform pan with cooking spray. Dust with 1 tablespoon of the cocoa.
2. Combine the raw almonds and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a food processor. Pulse until finely ground.
3. Melt the chocolate using a double boiler – stirring constantly until smooth. Remove the chocolate from the heat – add the coconut oil and continue stirring the oil is melted and incorporated with the chocolate. Pour into a medium sized mixing bowl.
4. Add to the chocolate mixture – the ground almonds/sugar, Greek yogurt, egg yolks, vanilla, almond extract (if using), ½ cup of the remaining sugar, and the remaining 2 tablespoons cocoa. Mix well to combine.
5. Place the egg whites in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining ¼ cup sugar until stiff, glossy peaks form.
5. Stir gently one-quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in the remaining whites until no white streaks remain. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
7. Cool on a rack. The cake will fall as it cools, leaving a raised edge. Gently press down the edge as it cools. Remove the pan sides and place on a serving plate. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds (if using).